Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Coutura's Five Personal Highlights of 2010




    As I'm creating my vision board for 2011, I started to think about all the great moments I've experienced in the past year. (Btw, you already heard about one of my BIG New Year's Resolutions to go natural...excited!)

    Confession: I'm always moving so fast that sometimes I forget to slow down, breathe and marvel in all the amazing blessings that have come my way in the last twelve months.

    So...with that said, here are five highlights and the lessons they taught me in 2010. Take a look and tell me yours in the comment section.


    1 - Becoming a director of a website

    When I started this blog, it was soo a way to express myself and my obsessive love for all things Fashion. Little did I know, it would pave a career path. Since leaving The Magazine, I have been blessed with so many opportunities in the digital space, primarily due to this blog, which makes me overwhelmingly proud we took the risk to get it started.


    2 - MET Gala


    After attending the MET Gala this year, one of the writers I look up to (who has an amaze blog, Black Bridal Bliss) said it was on her bucket list. It was that comment that made me slow down from all the impending deadlines and assignments to say, wow something amazing just happened.

    I partied with people that I have always admired from Karl Lagerfeld to Oprah Winfrey to Sarah Jessica Parker to Anna Wintour. The night was so magical I still can't even believe it happened. The lesson here: live in the moment!






    3 - The Glamazons Blog

    Omg, I love this blog! This year, we saw record numbers in traffic (woot!) and next year is opening up so many opportunities including a site makeover we're so excited about it!



    From waxing poetic on our career dramas, to dishing about parties we attend (Glamour Women of the Year Awards, Why Did I Get Married Too? Premiere above) to interviewing our favorite stars (Kandi, Chrisette Michele, Ameriie, Fergie, Letoya Luckett, June Ambrose, Sessilee Lopez!) to going on trips (ESSENCE Music Festival, Ford in Atlanta) Glamazons is truly a labor of love.






    This year also saw us recognized by other media outlets and fashion brands like Rachel Roy, iVillage and WEEN. I'm excited to see where 2011 will take us!







    4 - Penn Station Outreach

    The beginning of this recap should, in no way, make you think life in New York City is easy. For every moment of excitement where Ferocia and I are literally living our dreams, there's some struggle to bring us back to reality: almost being evicted, lead/bed bugs/mice taking over our apartment (true story!), getting laid off, writing for sites and not getting paid, those moments where you strongly consider going to Jersey/Texas to a warm home with food and a regular day job.

    But none of those rough times compare to that experienced by homeless people here in the city, especially in the Winter. The Penn Station Outreach helped drive that point home for me. Just a few trips offering warm food and beverages, and coats/gloves to people in Penn Station, and to see how touched they were by kindness from a random stranger, made me grateful for the apartment and life I do have. I definitely want to do more, and give more, in 2011.

    5 -  The Word 'No'

    Another reality check that quells all talk of life in NYC being easy? The word 'No.'

    It was at the Black Girls Rock! Awards when Raven-Symone matter-of-factly said, "If someone tells me No, I just say: you're not the person I should be talking to." A light bulb went off on my head then. To accomplish something great, you often have to stand on a ledge and do things people have never done, or never thought possible.  

    Ferocia and I have already been blessed with opportunities that most people don't expect this early in the game. And every time we've had doubts or second thoughts about pursuing a goal, the thought comes in our heads: "Well, the worst they could say is 'No' ... and even then, we can find another way."

    And the funny thing is, most times, they DO say Yes. One of the most important qualities to have when trying to succeed is resilience. That was one of the lessons I learned in 2010 and now, in 2011, 'No' is no longer a dream crusher, or a roadblock, for me.


    What are your highlights, and lessons from 2010? And what's on your vision board? Tell me in the comments.


    Kisses,


    Coutura

Blog Archive