Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Hair & Hair Color Challenges

    HCC Email/Question # 7
    Question; Are there any hair color techniques that are great for curly hair? I have brown curly hair and for years I get highlights and the results are either not enough done or too much were put in. What I am looking for are sun kissed highlights on my hair , any suggestions would be great.
    Ps. To give you an idea of what I want I have attached 2 pictures
    Thank You
    Amber



    Thank you for the visuals it helps when I am trying to help figure out what one is looking for. There are hair coloring techniques especially created for curly or wave hair , I know I have a few in my bag of tricks. One of the challenges in my industry with coloring curly hair is that it is colored exactly like we would straight hair and to me this has always been wrong. The density is thicker, the way to grows out of the head and sits on the scalp is different so there for the best way I have found to color curly/wavy hair is by actually working with the curl or wavy in its natural state meaning simply picking up pieces. Majority of the time when I am highlighting curly hair I either do 2 back to back foils ( a term meaning 2 foils without any hair lift in between ) or a technique called Balayage , a free hand painting of pieces of hair.

    There are more techniques out there and you need to talk to your stylist or colorist on what kind of options there are for your particular hair type. The visuals you sent seem to be more of a natural look with lighter ends so I would (keep in mind I have not seen your own hair) do some Balayage and then take a few pieces randomly throughout the hair and back-comb applying the lighter color on the ends , the back-combing prevents no lines , so once the hair that is back-combed meets the lighter pieces the results are like if you spent time on the beach. The most important point is you need to either talk to your stylist give him these suggestions or perhaps find a new one that understands that coloring curly hair is an art and not a straight forward foil highlight .

Blog Archive