Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Hair & Hair Color Challenge #12

    HCC Email/Question


    Dear Hair Color Corner
    I recently had knee surgery and swimming is my physio therapy 3x a week, I presently have an all over blonde hair color with a few lighter high lights on the top of my hair shoulder length, my challenge is ever since I started swimming in chlorinated pool I began to notice my hair color has been turning not green but more of a yellowish flat tone and have tried several protective products for chlorine, to date nothing is working and my hair is becoming dryer and dryer. I do wear a cap and have tried wearing a conditioner underneath on my hairdressers suggestion but it still gets wet , I feel like my hair looks like a broom worried it will break off do you have any suggestions or advice to help me with this challenge
    Megan .

    One of the most common challenges as long as I can remember has been chlorine and blonde hair colors which are the main victims because anything and everything depositing on to the hair is more visible then say a brunette because it is a light shade. The yellowish flat cast you are seeing is what we call mustard tone that starts turning greenish, not so pretty but typical and accompanied by dehydration (dryness) and possibly breakage. What I often do when I have a client with this challenge is start them on a regiment that I call Swimmers Hair, which not only involves the correct shampoo/conditioner, treatment ect but beginning with the hair color first.

    First there is no doubt in my opinion that all hair colors especially blondes after the actual color service should have a Gloss, Glaze, a colorless semi-permanent which will add a clear coating onto the hair locking in the hair color like a topcoat on nails which can and does protect impurities depositing on the hair like chlorine as well as mineral deposits from our actual pluming or water systems. Second after each visit to the pool I recommend immediate shampooing allowing no time for the chlorine to sit or dry into the hair, taking with you a detoxifying shampoo wash rinse then taking a spray bottle with plan old white vinegar spray the hair with ample amount comb hair leave it in for 5 minutes then rinse out followed by conditioner, the next day I have my clients washing and conditioning their hair with color protective products.

    As for using a cap it is one of the best and only things to use, I suggest applying a conditioner all over the hair use a plastic baggy or cellophane wrap then for a better grip lightly apply a bit more conditioner on the actual plastic pop on the cap, this way the swimming cap won’t move. There are a few extra steps that one needs to take when you swim in pools and are a blonde just keep in mind it’s worth it for your hair, pocket book, and sanity.
    My Reccomanded Products

    Aveda; Gloss /Deposit Only Color Treatment, Sun Care Masque, Color Conserve Shampoo & Conditioner, Detoxifier/ Sun Care Hair Cleanser , Spary Bottle & White Vinegar

Blog Archive