Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Hair & Hair Color Challenges

    HCC Email/Question #4

    Hi,
    I have probably 70% grey and have always had almost black hair. My stylist kept the color pretty well and then my hair went bluish black and flat. I went to a colorist who told me it was too dark for me (I am 55). She stripped my hair and put a medium brown on which has a lot of red and it fades after a week. I hate it and do not think that I look good. Any suggestions?
    Carissa

    When grey hair is present between 50% and higher the darker the color you go the faster you get a demarcation line, roots (not pretty). It is true that as we age our hair colors should be softer , remembering that hair color can in fact bring attention to favourable features as well as unfavourable ones, so I steer my clients away from black tints because it is that one color that not only brings attention but it is the hardest to change. Cleansing out (stripping) has a process to go through color stages, as the black lifts it goes into a red, and when we put a brown on it the color becomes a brown/red hair color. With this situation there should be blue or violet or better both blue/violet in the formula, and it is more than likely a 10 volume developer was used. This might be a perfect scenario when combing through the hair color, mid-ends, with what volume developer do you use 10 or 20, I would use 20. . I have blogged about my theory on developers and how I use them and after removing hair color from hair that new tone needs still a lifting and deposit of tone at the same time, 20 volume developers does just that.

    So I suggest to tell the hairdresser you want more blue, violet in your formula, and to comb through the hair color to your ends with 20 volume developer, I am most certain this will help in the fading issue. It is also vitally important that you maintain proper homecare for your hair, invest in color treated shampoo’s and products that protect color treated hair. Embrace warmer colors; add different colors to both your face and wardrobe, if we change our hair color we have to do the same for makeup and clothes, this often can change our idea of how we look with a newer hair color (trust me).

    My Product Suggestions
    Aveda Clove Shampoo and Clove Color Conditioner
    Aveda Color Conserve Shampoo and Conditioner
    Find an Aveda salon near you; www.aveda.com

Blog Archive